Monday, April 11, 2011

Hard Correctional Officer


Written on or around March 25, 2011....

   Everyday we are called by sections of the quad to line up and get clean laundry. We are allowed to have two of each article of clothing, including the ones we are wearing. We are allowed to shower anytime during day room hours from 7:00AM to 9:00PM. It's much harder to concentrate in here since the day room is literally 6 feet from my bunk, making me close enough to be distracted by others wanting to talk, play cards, or whatever else. I want to apologize to all the loyal readers for not having as much to write about. Daily activities aren't quite as organized in here, and I have my freedom to do other things compared to when I was in D.C.I. When I was at D.C.I. I was locked down for 23 hours a day and didn't have many options for things to do. I will still do my best to log the highlights of my time here.

   Also, I want to explain that once I start my Earned Release Program (ERP) next month, I probably will only be writing a few times a week. The program is between 10-12 hours a day, Monday thru Friday, and I will be trying my best to focus on completing it successfully. I want to come home to my family as quickly as possible. 

  Also, there is something I'd like to ask the readers out there for their opinion on. Which would you prefer, that I continue the blog after my release, while on extended supervision, or would you rather I found someone else with more time in prison to continue writing from the “inside”?   Let me know your thoughts...

   Some of the recent highlights in here now... A couple days ago we had a C.O. work in our unit who is a known hard-ass so to speak. On the day he worked, he started the day off by taking someone's radio antenna off the bars in front of the window. Then he told the inmate who had it up there that if he put it back up there he would end up getting a conduct report filed on him. So the inmate jumped off the top bunk and stood with his face less than 4 inches from the C.O.'s and said, “I guess you better get to writing that fucking ticket then.” The C.O. just turned and walked away saying nothing. Mind you, the inmate did stand almost a foot taller than the C.O. too. But when the C.O. walked away, he just went to his station on the raised platform to write a report about this antenna incident. When he finished writing it nearly an hour later, he came down to talk to the inmate about the report he wrote, but didn't even make it halfway to his bunk when everyone in my quad heard a thud. He turned and started running to the other side. When I peeked around the corner, I saw a Puerto Rican guy beating the shit out of some black guy. They each weighed 200+ lbs., so it was hilarious to see the 140# C.O. try to stop the fight. I definitely find myself being distracted much more in here. I'll be going back to D.C.I. in about two weeks, so maybe my logs will become more regular after that.

   I think I'd better send what I have for logs home today so they can be posted. I also want to apologize to anyone who has written me that I haven't written back to yet. I truly am sorry, and I will write back soon, I promise!

Until tomorrow (or sometime soon)...

~J. Doe

1 comment:

  1. I would like you to keep blogging when you get out so we can follow you while you adapt back to the outside & possibly this could keep you from finding trouble? It is easy to say you will just get out & it will be just like it was before you left but I do not think that will be the case. So I would rather share in your accomplishments rather than start with a new person looking @ a long jail time. I already have a friend serving LIFE X2 in the worst NV prison so my reading this blog is to understand your journey. I have a good feeling about you & I know you can make it. Also I LOVE reading the recipes you come up with keep them coming ;) ~Laney

    ReplyDelete