Tuesday, March 1, 2011

From A Good Day to Bad All In One

Written on Saturday, January 29, 2011

   After breakfast this morning I came back to my cell and debated staying up until my visit, but it was dark still so I couldn't read without turning on the light and waking my cellmate, so I decided to go back to sleep until it got light out. I ended up sleeping until 9:00 AM when they came and told me I had a visit. This was my first visit since coming to D.C.I. so I didn't know I had to wear my green uniform top over my brown shirt and I was sent back to get it.

   Once I got it and made it to the visiting area they gave me a list of rules to read before I could go to my actual visit. 'Only a hug and a kiss at the beginning and end of the visit. The inmate may not get up to go to the vending machines, etc... ' Two pages worth of rules. My sister, Mom and Dad all came to visit me. We talked about how it was here, how things were at home and your typical conversation. I signed up to get two pictures at $1.50 a piece. When they took the first one of the four of us all standing together I was pleased enough with it. Mostly because it's probably one of the few of us together since I was a young teenager. Unfortunately, my brother wasn't here to partake in it with us. Maybe next time. I chose to get two copies of the first photo rather than getting another one taken. When they brought the copies to our table I was happy enough with them even though my hair is long and I don't know, I just look different. I'm not sure if it's good or bad yet, I just know I've gained some weight. Anyhow, I ate a vending machine chimichanga with a clear Mt. Dew. We talked some more before they came to my table with a white slip of paper signifying that my visit was over. We all hugged and said our 'I love you's' and I walked up to the Correctional Officers s to get searched.

   They do a full strip search at the end of a visit for obvious reasons. When I got back to my cell I was in a daze for a while. It's been a while since I've seen my family. Now I noticed the guy in the cell across from mine was in his cell while everyone was at lunch. He told me one of the C.O.'s in the chow hall was poking his finger in his back and he told the C.O. Not to touch him. So, the C.O. Sent him back upstairs to eat in his cell. After everyone else got back from chow I locked down and after 12:15 PM head count I went to Rec. for 50 mins.

   After Rec. we had showers from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM and actually got them finished in this time thanks to the sergeant who was working 2nd shift. He stayed on everyone not allowing longer showers or slow people to hold up progress. I've been recently corrected for calling the blue shirts C.O.'s. It doesn't make sense to me but, to save any confusion of rank or pronunciation of names, the inmates generally call the blue shirts 'Sarge' regardless of how many stripes they have on their arm. At worst case, you are giving them more credit than they are due, but oh well.. I'd been sticking to 'sir' and 'Ma'am' this whole time personally.

   Now, after showers, we had dinner and while going to dinner I saw one guy walk into another guys' cell and exchange some unfriendly words during showers. I don't think anything came of it though.

   After 5:30 head count I went out to help the swamper with his chores. Got the shower cleaned, the trash taken out, questions answered and ice delivered. Then, him and I sat down and played cribbage until 8:45 PM. After that we had to lock down for head count. I made some noodles for a snack before bed, did headcount, ate and put our “L” sign in the door (it notifies the 3rd shift to shut off your light) and read a chapter in my book. After reading a bit I dozed off and woke up an hour later maybe to my light still on. When I looked at the door our sign wasn't in it but sitting next to it. Immediately I knew my dumbass cellmate took it out before they shut off the light. So I laid there until I heard the 3rd shift Sgt. doing his rounds. I got up and stuck the sign in the door so he shut the light off before my cellmate could say anything. I told my cellmate before that he's dumb as hell if he thinks he;s going to sleep all day and keep me up all night because he isn't tired anymore.

   After the lights went out I laid down and started to drift off... just as my cellmate decided to get up and do a middle of the night workout!? What The Fuck?!? At this point my patience dropped to a level so low it was almost undetectable. But, somehow, I managed my composure long enough for him to wear himself out. So I started off to dreamland on more time only to be woke up by his rapping and tapping on the wall. He kept this shit up all night until just before 6:00 AM headcount. I couldn't take it anymore... I was pissed off and overly-tired.

~J. Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment