Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Psychological Workout

Written on Wednesday, February 16, 2011..

   Today I had Rec downstairs at 2:30pm. One of the guys I work out with down there left to Rhinelander, WI, to sit in the county jail. Some of the counties have agreements to essentially lease an unused portion of their jail to the D.O.C. for housing of inmates sentenced to prison. They are for temporary holding only, so inmates only sit there for up to four months usually. Sometimes the inmates will leave one county jail and go to another though. There is no standardized system by any means. In these jails they are assigned “state pods” for prison inmates only. They are not housed in the general population. One way to be sure to not be sent to any county jail is to be put on some sort of psych medication. Jails typically don't offer any psychological staff, so if you have any need for psych meds, they won't send you there. Now this sounds easy enough, but what they don't tell you is that when you get staffed if you are taking these same types of medications, they won't usually send you to a minimum security prison for the same reason. So you're damned if you do, and damned it you don't! Anyhow, he went to a county jail, leaving only two of us in our group working out together. Because of this I had even less time to rest between sets. This, plus the heat in the lower gym, took everything out of me. I honestly felt sick and like I might pass out afterwards.

  I was going to skip dinner but started feeling better just before they called “chow”. I felt like crap for the rest of the day. I tried re-hydrating but it just wasn't enough. I laid in bed for the rest of the night until just after 10:00pm when I finished my book. My cellmate had the light turned out shortly after this and we went to sleep.

   I hope I don't go to a county jail......

   Until tomorrow....

 ~J. Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment