Sunday, March 20, 2011

From Pig to Astro Physics

Written on Monday, February 14, 2011.

   Today is Valentine's Day, and no I don't have a Valentine inside, or even outside of prison, to celebrate it with. I'm just hoping my letter and cards go to their destinations in time.

  We had Rec this morning at 7:30a.m. But, my cellie can't go since his ride is almost here. By the time I got back from Rec. at 8:30, he was already gone. My best wishes to “Pig” and his custody battles; he was a cool cellmate. I hope my next one is too. I enjoyed the quiet of no cell mate for most of the day and got some sleep. Then at 3:00p.m. I got a new cell mate. He's 27 and from Ozaukee County. He has six years to do and I already find myself liking him because he's a smart guy.

  I talked with him about where I'm from and what not, and he mentioned that he went to UW-Whitewater, which is located close to home. I asked what he went to school for and he said Math and Physics. Come to find out, after graduation from UW-Whitewater in 2006, he went to the University of Virginia and got his Master's degree in Astro Physics. Kind of interesting, if you ask me! Not too often do I find inmates with that level of education. Most don't even have a high school diploma or the equivalent. So we talked a bit on and off for the rest of the day. I gave him a novel to read until he can make it to the library.

  We put our orders in for canteen tonight also. Later in the night they told the guy across the hall to pack-up his things because he is going to Jackson Correctional Institution in the morning. We exchanged information to get a hold of one another when we both get released. He has a year more to do than I do. For the most part, that sums up the day. I'm going to read and call it a night. 

Until tomorrow...

~ J.Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment